Monday, July 16, 2012

The Little Things

“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.” ~Robert Brault

I love that quote.  Today’s post is about the little things, both literally and figuratively.  First, the literal.  I went thrift shopping this weekend.  Now I have a confession to make: I don’t like thrift stores.  I feel almost sacrilegious posting that on a home décor blog but it’s true, at least in my limited experience.  I want to find great things there, and I know others find great items with lots of potential at thrift stores all the time, but I don’t seem to have that luck.  Usually it’s just crappy baskets, self help books, “Merry Christmas 1999” coffee mugs, and toilet seats (yes, my thrift store really has toilet seats. Gross, gross, gross).  But I went back Saturday with an open mind and I did manage to find three little items for my house.  I’m sure they’re not worth anything, but they’re cute and I only paid $6 for the whole lot.

blue jar

blue plate
purple jar
thrift store find

What do you think?  I like the blue and white print on the little jar; it reminds me of my garden stool.  I love the color and shape of the little purple vase, and that little plate is my favorite shade of blue.

I’ve also been doing little things around the house lately to make it nice.  For instance, I’ve been trying to make my bed more often (I can picture my mom reading this and I know her jaw probably just dropped).  I read this article about how it’s supposed to make you happier and more productive.  I’m not sure about that but it does feel nice to walk into my room with a nicely made bed. 

Another thing I’ve started doing is buying myself flowers when I go to the grocery store.  I only spend $5 each time but they look so pretty on the table in my blue mason jar.  In general I don’t really enjoy grocery shopping so this also serves as a nice little incentive to myself Smile

flowers
IMG_1318

By the way, if you live near a Hy-Vee their roses are sale for 50 cents a stem.  Can’t beat that!

No comments:

Post a Comment