Thursday, January 31, 2013

How Much Do You Actually Use Pinterest?

Nutella-Cheesecakes

No bake Nutella cheesecakes from My Baking Addiction

I love Pinterest.  I’ll sit down to check it and three hours later I’ve pinned 50+ things and accomplished nothing productive.  Sound familiar to anyone??  But last night while organizing my overwhelming “Recipes to Try” board into more manageable categories, I noticed that I hadn’t actually tried most of the recipes I had pinned.  So then, out of curiosity, I went through my pared down recipes board and counted all the dishes I had attempted.  Out of the 159 pins, which did not include drinks or desserts (I moved those to different boards), I had tried a grand total of 25.  Truth be told, that was actually more than I thought it would be, but it still came out to only 16% of my pins.

Which made me wonder…is Pinterest useful?  Sure, it’s fun to look at pictures of pretty homes, laugh at the newest some e-card, and fantasize about the perfect wedding, but what does that accomplish?  Food and drink recipes are probably the most useful category on Pinterest but if we never make 90% of the recipes we pin, what’s the point?  Is it just to look at pictures of drool-worthy cupcakes and cheesy enchiladas?

I’m wondering what you think about this subject.  When you have a couple minutes take a look at one of your boards.  Preferably a board with things you can actually make/accomplish, like recipes, craft projects, or cleaning tips.   Then count how many of the pins you have attempted.  Is it more than my measly 16%, or are you just as guilty as pinning but not doing?

Post your comments below, I’d love to hear them!

some ecard

There could be some truth to this…

3 comments:

  1. This is a really good point, but even if you only try 16% of the things, how does that compare to other sources of ideas? For example, have you ever tried every recipe in a cookbook?

    I love it for the ideas, even if I end up not using all/most of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you! I've felt rather discouraged by Pinterest for a while now. It is so unrealistic too! Sometimes after looking at it for hours I just feel negative about my own life, house, wedding, fashion, health, etc. Like we'll never do anything good enough bc some professional photographer captured a moment just right to make you feel bad about yourself. Or that you aren't doing enough. Also about 1/2 of the recipes I've tried from Pinterest have turned out really gross. And I consider myself a decent cook. But it's like people are more concerned about posting pretty pictures of food and end up leaving out key details in recipes. "Oh just throw some chicken stock in a pot and wait a while" what? I need specifics people! This has happened several times. So lately I've just found an idea on Pinterest and then googled the actual recipe from a more legit cooking blog. Anyway! Enough ranting! :)
    xo Catharine @ Your Modern Couple

    ReplyDelete