Friday, April 27, 2012

Page to Room Inspiration: The Night Circus

I love getting absorbed in a new book, especially one that transports you to a different world.  That book for me right now is The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.  The best short description I've found is from the NPR book review:
"...the story of two young magicians pitted against each other in an intricate, mysterious and lifelong competition. Their contest is set against the background of an extravagant Big Top, a twinkling, dazzling, traveling circus that puts down stakes in the dark of night and vanishes before dawn."
This isn't your ordinary clowns and elephants kind of circus though. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves (the circus of dreams), and it opens at nightfall and closes at dawn.  Everything in the circus is black and white, from the tents to the ground to the performers' costumes.  The book takes place during the late 1800's, starting in Victorian England and continuing as the circus travels throughout the world. 
The best part of the book so far (I'm about halfway through) is Morgenstern's incredible imagery of the circus. She creates a beautiful and mysterious setting for the young magicians' challenge within the many tents of Le Cirque des Rêves.  One night while I was reading it I wondered how this magical black and white world could be translated into modern decor.
The first image that popped into my head was this crazy awesome (handmade!) wedding tent featured on Middle of the Map Weddings.  (Btw, if you are planning a wedding or like wedding photos you have to check out this blog, it's amazing, and I'm not just saying that because it's written by my wedding florist Emily of Emmy-Ray)
For non-tent related design I picture lots of black and white stripes, black and white checkered floors, beautiful patterns, and touches of whimsy like the crystal ship chandelier.  

image via here

image via here


image via here

image via decorpad


image via House Beautiful 

image via House Beautiful

image via House Beautiful


image via House Beautiful
image via here

image via here
image via here

That last image may be a dark blue and white striped wall but I love it nonetheless.  To use black and white in real life I would recommend adding pops of color to liven the space up.  Otherwise I think the rooms above are gorgeous!  And if you haven't read The Night Circus yet I would recommend checking it out! 

P.S. if you like this book and/or enjoy this post you need to go to this pinterest board, it is incredible!

No comments:

Post a Comment