Wednesday, September 19, 2012

How to Hang a Gallery Wall

Another project that I did last minute before my house warming party this weekend (besides finishing my chevron table) was hanging a gallery wall in the downstairs hallway.  Usually Ben hangs the pictures in the house, especially multiple picture arrangements, but I did this all by myself using a helpful little trick. 

I started by measuring approximately how long I wanted the arrangement to be on the wall and laying the tape measurer out on the floor as a guideline.  Then I played around arranging the pictures on the floor until I came to a configuration I liked.  I took a picture of the arrangement not only so I could show you on the blog but also so I would have it as reference for the next step. 

IMG_1613

Then I moved the pictures and rolled out some wax paper.  For this arrangement I needed three widths of paper which I taped together with scotch tape.  The books were to hold the paper down so it didn’t roll back up on itself. 

IMG_1614

Then I moved the pictures back onto the wax paper.  I took a sharpie and outlined each of the frames.  I did draw the outlines a little wider than the actual frames because I didn’t want to get sharpie on any of my pictures.  Also, because the mirror frame is such an odd shape I didn’t trace that one, I just left an empty spot for it. 

IMG_1615

Then I took my whole giant sheet of wax paper and hung it on the wall with some painters tape.  This is the one point in the project when I would have really liked to have someone around to help me hang this.  It was hard to get it straight and centered on the wall by myself! 

IMG_1617

The next step was to hammer in the nails for each of the pictures.  Once that was done I hung the pictures right on top of the wax paper and then ripped the paper out from under the frames. 

IMG_1618

And there you have it, a slightly time consuming but easy way to hang a gallery wall of pictures.

IMG_1619

IMG_1631

IMG_1635

No comments:

Post a Comment