Monday, January 20, 2014

3 Design Rules That Are NOT Meant to be Broken

You know the saying “Rules are meant to be broken”? In the design world that saying is true most of the time, but in my opinion there are 3 rules that, with few exceptions, should always be followed.

1. Hang Art at Eye Level

IMG_9185

My Living Room

Art hung too high is one of my biggest pet peeves, and a lot of people are guilty of it. Heck, I used to be guilty of it! But now that I know better I always take care to make sure my art is hung at the correct level. According to Apartment Therapy, the center of the picture should be 57” above the floor. You’ll have to do a little bit of measuring and math to figure out exactly where to put the nail but trust me, it’s worth it. For step by step instructions check out AT’s article here. Houzz also has an excellent article regarding hanging art correctly.

 

2. Every Seat Needs a Landing Spot

Emily-Henderson-+-Curbly_livingroom01

Curbly’s House Living Room by Emily Henderson

Every seat in your house needs a side table, or poof, or something within reach on which to set your drink, phone, or book. This was drilled into my head during my first interior design class; when we drew floor plans every seat had to have a table within 18-24” or we lost points. My coffee table may be slightly too big for our living room but I love that no matter where you’re sitting on the couch you always have a place to sit your drink down. This rule also applies to side chairs. The landing spot rule is not only practical, it also helps to ground the space so you don’t have a lonely chair hanging out somewhere by itself. 

 

3. Accessorize in Odd Numbers

design-manifes-guest-room-aurene- tear-drop-shade-over-chair

Guest Room by Design Manifest

This is another rule we learned in our interior design classes: accessories always look best when grouped in odd numbers. Instead of placing 2 or 4 tchotchkes on a shelf, place 3 or 5 things together. It will be much more pleasing to the eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment