Wednesday, July 31, 2013

MLS All-Star Week

Today is the Major League Soccer All-Star game, and it is taking place in Kansas City.KC has become a big soccer city since Sporting KC started so it makes sense for the All-Star game to be here this year.

The best part about hosting the All-Star game is that the city celebrated with several days of festivities prior to the game, including two free concerts the last two days. I attended both nights at the Power & Light district, along with 8,000-10,000 soccer and/or music fans.

IMG_1675

I got there early both nights to get a good spot. I was in the front row of this bridge which was the perfect place to see the stage without being surrounded by a ton of people. (That’s not me in the picture, I’m just showing you where I stood).

IMG_1688

Night 1 (Monday) was Macklemore & Ryan Lewis. Awesome, awesome show. I got my free ticket Friday when I waited at a car dealership for an hour and a half to win tickets from a radio station. On Monday I got to P&L at 5:30 to secure my spot for the show. By 7:00 that place was absolutely packed! They actually stopped letting people in by that time. DJ Clinton Sparks opened the show and then Macklemore & Ryan Lewis took the stage around 9:00. The whole one hour set, which included “Thrift Shop,” “Same Love,” and “Can’t Hold Us,” was so high energy and fun. I loved it!

IMG_1621

IMG_1629

IMG_1631

IMG_1634

Last night was not quite as crazy but still a lot of fun. The night started with a fashion show by Sporting KC’s own Aurelien Collin who showed his new menswear line modeled by some of KC’s soccer players. Watching sexy soccer players model sexy suits…not a bad night Winking smile

IMG_1645

IMG_1653

The main event of the night was a concert by Silversun Pickups. I saw them a few years ago and they were really solid so I was excited to see them again. They definitely did not disappoint.

IMG_1671

IMG_1680

IMG_1686

I’m so grateful to live in a city with a venue like Power & Light that brings in so many amazing free concerts, not only for big events like the MLS All-Star game, but all year. I’m also grateful to my favorite radio station, 96.5 the Buzz, who sponsors a lot of the shows. And even though I’m not a soccer fan I’m really grateful to the MLS and Sporting KC for helping make Kansas City an amazing place to be this week.

The All-Star game airs tonight at 8:00 PM central time on ESPN2. I wish I could be there in person but I’ll settle for watching the game on TV. Who else will be watching?

No comments:

Post a Comment