Monday, March 18, 2013

kate spade Inspired Lampshade

Do you remember the lampshades I “made-over” a couple weeks ago? The ones I decorated with the gold sharpie? IMG_2332
It was an ok start but it wasn’t where I wanted it to be. The sharpie was gold but on the fabric shades it just looked brown. So today I broke out some gold metallic paint, some ribbon, and a glue gun, and…ta da!

IMG_2385
I used Martha Stewart metallic craft paint in yellow gold (the same stuff I used on my chevron table and my gold embellished frames) and a small paint brush to paint over the existing sharpie polka dots.

IMG_0411.JPG (2)
Notice how much better the color looks (the sharpie dots are on the left, the gold painted ones are on the right.)

IMG_0408.JPG (2)
I picked up two rolls of ribbon in the fabric section at Hobby Lobby for about $3 each. I used my handy dandy glue gun to attach the trim to the top and bottom of the shades.

IMG_0413.JPG (2)IMG_0414.JPG (2)
IMG_0415.JPG (2)
Easy peasy! The only tricky part of the project was getting the ribbon to lay flat against the curved surface of the shade. I used my finger to smooth out the ribbon as I applied it, which helped the wrinkles and gapping. It also helped to even out the glue so you I didn’t have a thick line through the middle of the ribbon.

IMG_2381
IMG_2387
While I was sprucing things up I also decided to swap out the boring nickel knobs on the nightstands to pretty new glass ones.

IMG_2329
IMG_2382
It’s hard to tell from the picture but the new knobs are clear glass with lots of little bubbles, they are much prettier than the boring nickel knobs!
And there you have it! All it took was a little paint and a little ribbon to makeover a boring white lampshade into a white, gold, and black kate spade inspired piece!

**linking up at East Coast Creative** 
Weekend Bloggy Reading

1 comment:

  1. Looks great!! Much improved from the plain white shade. You know I love me some Kate Spade...

    ReplyDelete