Friday, March 8, 2013

DIY St. Patty’s Day Art

DIY St Patty's Day Art
The DIY bug hit me again. Since St. Patrick’s Day is only about a week away I decided to make an Irish inspired art piece. I was inspired by this Easter egg art from julep. I also borrowed the quote from this DIY artwork by A Beautiful Mess.



6a00d8358081ff69e201539082b9b2970b-800wi
I created a print on Word with a simple four leaf clover shape and the phrase “I was lucky like a four leaf clover” in a fun font about it. I printed that out onto a piece of white cardstock. In addition to the template I used:
  • Blank white cardstock
  • Glue stick
  • Craft knife
  • Gold sharpie
  • Cutting mat
  • Paper cutter
  • Four sheets of green scrapbook paper
IMG_2341
My first step was to cut out the four leaf clover using a craft knife.

IMG_2344
Then I traced over the letters with my gold sharpie.

IMG_2346

IMG_2348
Then I cut strips of the scrapbook paper with the paper cutter. They’re each approximately 1/4” wide.

IMG_2349
IMG_2350
I traced the four leaf clover onto the blank piece of cardstock and started laying out the paper strips to make sure I had enough. Once I was happy with the pattern I glued all the strips down.

IMG_2353
Then I used the cut out clover as a template to cut out the cardstock with the strips. I initially skipped this step but you could see the extra green paper behind the white cardstock.

IMG_2359
I flipped it over and glued it onto the original print.

IMG_2360
Ta-da!!

IMG_2357
To make it look a little more finished I outlined the clover with my gold sharpie.

IMG_2358
The final step was to trim the 8.5” x 11” paper to fit in my 8” x 10” frame. Then I popped it in and voila!

IMG_2369
I’m really happy with how this turned out! The shape is simple and graphic but the different strips of scrapbook paper add a lot of fun pattern. I also love the little bit of extra glitz the metallic gold sharpie adds.
If you’d like to make your own version of my St. Patty’s day art, feel free to email me at blue11interiors (at) gmail (dot) com and I will send you my template.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!


Weekend Bloggy Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment