Thursday, August 30, 2012

Makeup Storage DIY

True story: pretty makeup storage can be expensive.  Even not so pretty, basic storage, like this clear acrylic organizer from Target, is $15.50, and it’s not even big enough to hold all my stuff.  So for a long time I just used a plastic storage container to hold my makeup, which worked, but it was not cute at all.  Then one day I came up with a brilliant idea to create my own makeup storage out of a gift box and a tea tin.  Take a look!
IMG_1556
My makeup box started out as the gift box for this set from Philosophy
philosophy
I bought this set for myself because it was a good price for sample sizes of these products.  I liked the box and saved it because I figured I cold do something useful with it.  Of course it had to be transformed a bit because, well, I didn’t want people to see it and think I had welcomed a baby.  So once I got the idea to turn it into my makeup storage box all I did was take off the lid and trace around it onto a sheet of cute scrapbook paper (sorry, I don’t have any pictures of the process because I did this about a year ago).  I then painted some Mod Podge onto the top of the lid and centered the paper onto it.  Once it dried I applied another coat of Mod Podge over the top of the paper.  To dress it up a little more I used some sticker letters I had picked up on clearance from Pier 1 to spell out “Pretty” in the middle of the lid. 
IMG_1562
IMG_1563
IMG_1566
That’s it! I could have repainted or decoupaged the box but I like it as is.  Ditto for the ribbon. 
I also needed storage for my makeup brushes.  One of my friends gave me a really cute tea tin from Harrod’s London as a souvenir and I had been saving it for a long time.  I thought this could be the perfect way to make it into something useful and have it out on display.  I just removed the lid and then, to give the brushes more stability, filled the bottom with coffee beans. 
IMG_1550
IMG_1552
After I’ve put on my makeup I can put everything back onto a mirrored tray on my dresser.  They make a nice display along with my perfume bottles. 
IMG_1560
IMG_1569
IMG_1559
IMG_1561
The best part of this project is that I didn’t spend any money on it; I just used materials I already had.  So easy!  This would work just as well with any sturdy box you have on hand and some sort of jar or container, even a tin can that you paint or recover.  It just takes a little bit of creativity and vision! 

*linking up at Serenity Now*

1 comment:

  1. You are exactly right that makeup storage is expensive and pretty utilitarian. These ideas are adorable! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete