Monday, February 4, 2013

First Friday Shopping in the West Bottoms

Hello and Happy Monday to everyone!

Last Friday was a great day at work for me. As part of my internship I went antique/thrift shopping with the designer I’m working with. She needed to find a bunch of vintage mismatched chairs for a restaurant she’s designing so she took me with her to start hunting. 

Every month Kansas City has “First Friday,” in which the Crossroads neighborhood opens its galleries, shops, and restaurants for the whole city to enjoy. There are also a ton of great vintage stores in the West Bottoms area nearby that are only open on First Friday weekends. So we took advantage of the timing and did some exploring in some of the fabulous West Bottoms stores. 

IMG_0140

Really cute Valentines display in Good Juju

IMG_0141

The ugliest plastic squirrel you ever did see

IMG_0142

Tons of treasures to search through from floor to ceiling, literally (look at all those light fixtures!)

IMG_0139

So many great chairs waiting to be reupholstered at Sit On It

We did find a good portion of the chairs we needed for the restaurant and I’m so excited to see how they all come together!  The best part though was that I managed to pick something up for myself!

IMG_2313

An oh-so-fabulous red faux bamboo mirror!  I have been searching Craigslist for months trying to find a chinoiserie faux bamboo piece like this!

IMG_2312

It’s now proudly displayed in my entryway

IMG_2309

IMG_2311

The price was perfect too…only $29!  I didn’t hesitate for a second before pulling it off the wall and claiming it as mine. 

I do have a question for you all though. The mirror has an antiqued finish which you can see if you look closely at the pictures. Does anyone know how can you tell if it’s actually antiqued mirror or if someone just applied a faux finish?

Did anyone one else find any wonderful treasures this weekend (old or new?)

P.S.  The picture from Sit On It with the fantastic arched windows was a familiar spot for me.  It was the same floor in the same building that housed an event space we originally booked for our wedding!.  The venue closed a few months after we booked it because it wasn’t zoned properly or something so we had to find a new place.  It was a bit surreal being back there!

No comments:

Post a Comment