Tuesday, October 9, 2012

It’s All About Balance

Every room needs to be balanced.  It creates a visually pleasing space and it makes us feel at ease and comfortable.  Rooms that feel “off” often lack this key principal of design. 

There are three different types of balance: symmetrical, asymmetrical, and radial.

Symmetrical balance is easy to spot.  You can draw a line down the middle of the room and each half will be the same.  Symmetrical balance is also called formal balance and it can make a room feel more formal. 

symmetrical

photo via House Beautiful

KW_Interiors_14

photo via Kelly Wearstler Interiors

Asymmetrical balance creates a feeling of equilibrium without being exactly the same.  This is done by using pieces of similar size and/or visual weight to balance each other within a room.  Asymmetrical balance is also referred to as informal balance.

assymetrical

Emily Henderson does asymmetry very well.  See how the TV stand balances out the sofa and the two chairs balance out the sliding glass doors across the room.

assymetrical 2

This room, also by Emily Henderson, features a great asymmetrical art wall.

The last type of balance is radial balance.  This is balance based on a circle.  Think of the spokes on a wagon wheel.  Radial balance is often seen as dining chairs and place settings around a round table in a dining room.

radial

photo via Emily Henderson

KW_Interiors_12

photo via Kelly Wearstler Interiors

And that kids is your interior design lesson for the day. 

It will probably be your only lesson of the week as I will be busy studying for tests in both my interior design classes on Thursday.  I’ll try to be back on Friday with something fun! 

1 comment:

  1. Okay, so I fought with Matt about this when we moved into this house, and I know I'm going to do the same in the new house. I am *obsessed* with making things look just right. It's an OCD thing for me. I moved our furniture around what felt like 200 times before I finally was too tire to move it anymore and settled for how it was.
    So, in summary, I'm glad that you posted this! It gives me an idea of what to do at the new house!

    ReplyDelete