Friday, July 27, 2012

DIY Paint Chip Art

I’ve seen a ton of creative paint chip projects floating around the internet for years, even before the Pinterest era (remember a time without Pinterest?).  I’ve wanted to try one for a long time but I didn’t feel like stealing paint chips from Home Depot to do so.  After our trip to Sherwin Williams the other day to find a paint color for the guest room I had a ton of purple and green paint chips left over though, so today I got a little crafty.  Here’s what I came up with.

paint chip art title

Here’s the big pile of paint chips I started with.

IMG_1419

I used my scrapbook paper cutter to cut the strips into 1.5 inch sections, and then cut the strips apart so I was left with a bunch of squares. 

IMG_1422
IMG_1423

I played with arranging the squares but I didn’t like how that looked, so I cut the squares in half diagonally into triangles.

IMG_1426

I played with different ways of arranging them until I came up with this.

IMG_1427

I just used a glue stick to adhere the paint chips to a piece of white scrapbook paper.  I drew a line down the middle of the paper to start as a guide for the dark purple triangles, and then I just kept building outward until I got to this. 

IMG_1431

I popped it into an Ikea ribba frame that I wasn’t using.  I really like how it looks framed and matted.

IMG_1430

I also really like the mosaic-esque quality too.  I think if I were to do this again I would use just one color, like a million different shades of blue, but I like how the purple and green looks too.  Pretty nice for a completely free art project!

1 comment:

  1. Pretty awesome! Good way to use up some paint chips you were just going to throw away. :)

    ReplyDelete